5/24/11

grímsvötn

i had something i was going to put here,
but i'll be damned if i remember what it was
must not've been that important

i'm taking two history classes this summer,
and they couldn't be more different
my online one [encounters in the age of discovery] is a trip
the prof is rather pompous asshole,
the kind of asshole has a ten bullet point list of things he wants in two–page papers
[while grading them like we're twelve years old]
and he posts about 2 1/2 hours of lecture we have to sift through a week
he also keeps making awkward, joking asides in our lectures
it also turns out that there's only four people in that class
which means we all get extra scrutiny
fantastic

my other class is sex, dating, and marriage from wwII
and it's a fucking blast
that prof is both funny and insightful
and we've had interesting class discussions so far
and, unlike my online reading list,
i've actually got interesting books to read for this class
and we've watched/will be watching plenty of movies
makes the three hours twice weekly somewhat bearable

in one of my vagrant displays of consumerism ever,
i bought myself a really nice [and super expensive] ipod docking stereo
and let me tell you, it's nice
it's an altec lansing, so it's got a super deep bass
along with a really wide top range
plus, it has auxiliary jacks my old stereo so unfortunately lacked,
so now it can act as the speakers my laptop has always deserved
[which is not to knock my old usb speakers
which were great, but now belong to my parents]
i also replaced my old headphones,
which were good but crapping out
so now i am surrounded by glorious and gorgeous sound

also, in one of my most vagrant displays of practicality,
i bought myself a really nice, really inexpensive desk
the kind of desk i have been craving my entire time in the dorms
it actually has fucking shelves for once,
so i can put shit on it without cluttering the top of it
talk about convenient, right?
it's like that's what desks were meant to be,
as opposed to flat tabletops with the most useless keyboard drawer ever
so now i am surrounded by glorious and gorgeous workspace

last weekend i got to see vienna teng [!] at the e/l arts festival
i've loved her music for about five years now,
and somehow managed to see her live twice in the past two months
she's fucking phenomenal, let me tell you
she did some great arrangements of her songs with her percussionist
[alex, an amazing musician in his own right]
and even did a radiohead cover
talk about a great way to spend a sunday afternoon

and now, i'm gonna go play some max payne 2
[after dabbling around with it off and on for the past year
i sat down and played the original in one go
9 straight hours well wasted, in my opinion]

0 comments:

Post a Comment