4/27/09

kernel panic

i never realized there was a mac version of the blue screen of death
i know that there is now, because i experienced it
and it wasn't something i enjoyed

basically, upon trying to restart my computer
my laptop said the drivers were missing to start os x
there's a whole litany of technical things to follow
but basically,
file permissions and ownership got screwed up
and my system file no longer possessed the system folder
which means? no working operating system
after trying to repair it in disk utility
then doing an archive install
i wiped my hard drive and started afresh
but, i was able to save virtually all my files
'virtually all' because i forgot a couple of them
like my sticky notes, my adium chat logs, things like that
also, because i needed to be punished for screwing up
my itunes library didn't save right

on the plus side of all this,
i have 29 gigs of free space now, instead of five
my computer is running faster than it was before
and any inconsequential, memory–hogging files are long gone

the downside is that i had to do this in the first place
but i accept the blame for it, because it was my fucking fault
as such
i'm not counting this as a crash
because it wasn't unwarranted, and it wasn't a third party app that did it
regardless of all that
in almost six years, this was the first problem i've had with the software
anyone else who can say that about their computer,
please, make yourselves known to me
because i don't believe anyone else has had that experience
i'm just that awesome, i guess

0 comments:

Post a Comment